Friday, November 16, 2012

Jumbled Holidays

Hey, did you guys know that Thanksgiving is less than a week away? Say what?

I feel like Hurricane Sandy threw everything off for us. We lost a whole week living in the dark and cold, cut off from the rest of the world. That pushed our Halloween back, with the Ragamuffin Parade being held this past Monday and our apartment building's Halloween party last night. (The party was quite nice - lots of food, popcorn, cotton candy, magician, balloon artist, the whole bit!) So here we are, a week away from Thanksgiving, yet still finishing up our Halloween celebration.

Ellie watching the magician at the party last night

Not only that, but this week New York started looking a bit Christmasier (that's a word, I'm sure of it) with the arrival of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree.

There's the tree!

The owner of the tree hammering the spike into the trunk

Up, up, up....

The tree is floating!

It feels like Thanksgiving is getting lost in the shuffle, with Halloween lasting well into November and Christmas getting off to its ever-earlier start. It's very strange to be thinking about all three holidays in the very same week.

Also, let me just go ahead and warn you that we are now less than three weeks away from our scheduled departure from our beloved New York and thus full-scale whining may commence. I think I have been pushing Thanksgiving out of my mind because I know that once Thanksgiving is over, we're in our final days and our Farewell New York Day will come much sooner than I am prepared for. Although details are coming together and we're starting to figure things out for our next steps, our minds just cannot handle thinking about and getting excited for those things just yet. For now, we're mourning New York. I won't speak for Eric, but I can tell you that I personally am in a very temper-tantrum kind of stage: "But I don't WANNA leave! You can't make me!!!!!!" Waaah.

But, no matter how much I dig my heels in and try to resist, time is marching on. Halloween is over, Thanksgiving will be over by this time next week, and then we will fill our last New York days by taking Ellie to see as much of New York Christmas as possible.

Hopefully we'll also find time to pack.

But, for this week, Happy Hallowgivingmas, everyone!

No comments: