Wednesday, December 17, 2014

E.J.'s Stocking

You may recall that for Ellie's first Christmas, I cross-stitched a stocking for her. I had originally planned to make her a birth record, but decided a stocking was a more practical project, and something that could still be a treasured keepsake. It was a true labor of love (much of it was stitched during our post-Hurricane Sandy black-out), and I hope she will think it's pretty special someday.

Of course, when E.J. was born, I knew I wanted to do the same for him. I searched for and selected a pattern I liked before he was born, and started working on it during his two-week hospital stay. I have been working on it as much as possible since then and finally finished it up last week. Once again, my mom was kind enough to help me with all the assembly, because I am a pretty lousy (or at least, inexperienced) seamstress and the idea of possibly messing up the assembly of something I had already spent so much time on made me twitch. Thanks, Mom!

Care to see the finished product?

E.J.'s stocking!

I'm very pleased with how it turned out!

One of my favorite details  of E.J.'s stocking is the lining. Ellie's stocking is lined with fabric leftover from a homecoming dress my mom made for my sister, but for E.J.'s, I planned ahead and opted to select a more fun Christmas print to line the inside of his stocking:

Festive!

I love seeing both of those stockings hanging side-by-side on our mantle this year. I hope that Ellie and E.J. treasure them and know how much I wanted to make something special for them. Those stockings were made with love! Cheesy, but oh-so-true.

Handmade stockings for my sweet babies!

1 comment:

Becky said...

They will absolutely treasure those stockings as they get older and can appreciate what time you took and the love you put into making them. They are gorgeous works of art, and I'm honored that I was able to be a part of their creation.