Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our Second New Yorkiversary

Tomorrow will mark two years since Eric, Achilles and I stepped off a plane at JFK Airport and officially became New York residents.

We took a cab to our new apartment, where all of our belongings were waiting for us after having been delivered while we vacationed in Florida and the Cayman Islands. Our first priority? Pizza at Sacco's, of course. Then unpacking and calling around to set up our cable. The next day we wandered around in search of a free internet hotspot, and ended up on the steps of Lincoln Center (and I posted my very first blog post from NYC). We got right to work settling in, as I had to go back to DC on business just days later, and as soon as I got back we dove right in with our first visitors (Ronnie and Tom).

Since then, we have done our very best to experience everything there is to experience, see everything there is to see, and enjoy every minute of our time in the city. I think we have been successful, and I am so blessed to have had this time here. There is just no place like New York City.

 Just a few of my favorite moments we have shared since moving to NYC! (click to enlarge)

At this point, I still don't know what the future holds for us here. Last year at this time, I was already starting to get the itch to move on, and that hasn't really changed. Not because I want to leave New York (in fact, the mere thought of watching the skyline fade away in the distance from an airplane window with no plans for return makes me want to cry), but because I know that it will not be our forever home and I'm anxious to know what our next step will be. I don't do very well with not having a plan. Of course, I realize that even the best laid plans don't always work out as you expect, but I at least like the illusion of being in control!

Many of you have been asking for updates on the Hoboken situation, so I figured now would be a fitting time to update you. Except, the update really is that there is no update. Hoboken is still very much on the table, but no definite progress has been made. Shortly after I first posted about it, the prices at the apartment building we would move to went up significantly. It would still be a substantial savings compared to what we pay now, but if we're going to make this move we want to do it in a way that will enable us to save as much money as possible. So, we decided to shelve the idea of Hoboken for a bit. We figured that we will just wait until our lease is up in February and decide what to do then. If we still want to go to Hoboken, then we will have more options for where to live - we won't be tied into this one building (which we would be if we moved now, because the only way we might be able to break our lease early is if we stay with this property management company), so we might be able to do more looking and find something even cheaper. Or, if we decide someplace else is a better fit for us right now, we can make that move then, too. Plus, we would get to spend another Christmas living in NYC.

However, we have continued to keep an eye on the apartment prices at that Hoboken building, and lo and behold, they've fallen again...to even lower than they were when we first looked. So, now we're all out of sorts again, trying to figure out what is best for us, can we make this move now, should we make this move now, are we ready, can it happen, etc. So basically, my update is that we are pretty much in the exact same place as we were when I first posted. Sigh.

I'll continue to keep you updated as our plans develop, but for now we will just continue being residents of Manhattan and all making the most of all the awesomeness that comes with it!

No comments: