Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring Fever

Crocuses in Central Park

I've got a bad case of spring fever.

In this post I'm going to share pictures we took in Central Park on Sunday, when the temperature got up into the 60's and the sun was shining. As I was uploading the pictures and preparing them to post this morning, however, I watched the sky darken outside my window and...get this....SNOW STARTED TO FALL. Now, I'm not so far removed from my childhood in Ohio that I have some crazy notion that once spring "officially" starts, days of snow and cold are over. I remember Easter Sundays that included snow, or at least winter coats. But boy, was I hopeful that would not be the case this year.

The snow this morning only lasted a few minutes and then the sun came back out, so it wasn't a total catastrophe. But that doesn't change the fact that I am so ready for spring that it's not even funny. I'm encouraged by the blossoming trees and flowers I've started to see, but I continue to be disheartened by the fact that I still have to wear my winter coat more often than not. I am also currently disheartened, as I type these very words, because....the sky is now dark again and the snow is back. Again. What is happening here?!

Anyway, maybe posting these cheerful spring pictures will lift my snow-induced funk. Things really are starting to bloom, which is so beautiful to see. That is one thing I love about living back up north. There is no spring in Florida - it goes straight from winter to summer (and sometimes back and forth between the two for a bit). I love the gradually warmer weather, the budding flowers, blooming trees, the feeling of hope for a new year and warmer temperatures. Sunday was really our first nice spring day, so we took Achilles for a walk in Central Park to enjoy it. Needless to say, everyone else in the city had the same idea, and the park was CROWDED. Still wonderful, though!

My favorite picture of the afternoon - my boys on the Bridge!

Look at the crowds! People everywhere.

Achilles enjoying his time outside

Blossoming trees

The boys enjoying the scenery

With Achilles

Here's hoping that weather like Sunday's becomes the norm pretty quickly. I've had quite enough of winter!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I had to wipe 3 inches of snow off my car on Monday morning, and today it was 60! Ridiculous. I am very over that snow.