Monday, April 6, 2009

Scottish Pride

As I mentioned in my last post, this weekend we went to a parade: the Scottish Tartan Parade! I decided to wait to share my photos of it until today, because today is actually National Tartan Day, a day to celebrate your Scottish heritage!

As many of you may know, my maiden name - Baird - is Scottish. Legend has it that the first Baird saved William the Lion from a wild boar. Go Bairds! We wear our tartan and display our clan crest with pride. This is what the Baird tartan and crest look like:

Baird tartan
Baird clan crest. "Dominus Fecit" means "The Lord Made."

The men on my dad's side of the family all own Baird neck ties, and many of the women proudly wear Baird scarves (my personal favorite winter scarf) or shawls. My cousin Beth had photos taken of her on her wedding day wearing a Baird sash over her wedding gown. My dad wore his Baird tie with his tux on my wedding day. I pinned a swatch of Baird fabric inside my wedding gown in honor of my late Grandfather Baird (better known as "Papa"), and to represent that I'll always be a Baird underneath.

My dad sporting his Baird tie at my wedding. Doesn't he look dapper?

Several years ago my dad visited Scotland and brought me back a Baird kilt skirt. I never had an occasion to wear it, really, so I was excited about this parade - what a perfect opportunity to get some wear out of my skirt! So I decked myself out, including a Scottish thistle necklace my dad gave me, and I was ready to go.

It was very windy. Not the best day for skirts. Luckily, this was the worst kilt mishap I saw! Because you know what they say...
What do Scotsmen wear under their kilts?.....SHOES!

Perhaps, in light of the wind, it's better to sit for this photo-op.

The parade started at 2:00 p.m. and marched up along Sixth Avenue. It was wonderful! Just bagpipes after bagpipes. I've heard it said that you either love or hate the sound of bagpipes. I'm definitely one who loves them. I also enjoyed looking at all the different tartans! I was only able to pick out one fellow Baird marching in the parade, but it was great to see everyone, including the spectators, decked out in the tartan best.

Here are a few more pictures from the parade:

The first group, getting things started

Great outfit.

I'm not sure why they're carrying a giant log, but I like it.

How cute! I think the other little dogs behind her are all, "whoa! check out the hot chick in the skirt right there!"

A group of misfits, as Eric would call them. So many different tartans!

Scottish dancers

And, in case you are a bagpipe lover like me, here is a video of one of the bagpipe groups playing "Scotland the Brave," which I just love:



And that was our Scottish celebration this weekend! Now I just need to be sure to hit Oktoberfest, and I will be able to say I have celebrated each of my cultures of origin this year. But for today, I'm 100% Scottish, and proud of it!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That is so awesome!!!! I love the pics of you too cute :-)

Unknown said...

You look like a model in that windy one! Very lovely :-)