Thursday, June 26, 2014

Our Threesome

This morning Eric and Ellie headed off to my mom's house, where Ellie will be staying until Plus One makes his grand entrance. After he is born, my mom will bring her back up here to meet him.

I have been an emotional wreck about the whole thing. The idea of being away from my baby girl for an indefinite amount of time, added to knowing that when she returns, her entire world will be changed and she has no way to anticipate that, is just too much for a 39-weeks-and-2-days-pregnant lady.

I know it will be okay. I know it will. I know we'll find our new normal and although it may be rocky at first, in time our new normal will be even better than the old normal. But today....oy. It's tough on this mama.

Last night we made sure to do something fun for our last night together as a family of three: we had some pool time after Ellie's nap, then had pizza for dinner in front of the TV as we watched Sesame Street. Ellie has been having some rough nights of sleep lately but last night she slept better than she has in weeks...I'm telling myself that was her way of telling me that she's going to be okay. She has also been throwing out unprompted "I love yous," happily commenting on her "family" and she told Eric that "Daddy and Ellie are best friends!" So she's either doing her best to reassure us or to rip our hearts out. Maybe both?

While Eric shuttles Ellie down to my mom's house today, I'm planning to treat myself to some Target shopping that does NOT involve prying Dollar Spot toys from a two-year-old's death grip, and then will clean up the house and tie up loose ends so that when Eric returns this evening, all we have left to do is wait on Baby Boy. And what better way to do that than on a date? We have dinner and movie plans tonight! And I know my mom has a ton of fun activities planned for Ellie, one of which includes a new swimming pool. So, I know this separation is a good thing, ultimately - we'll all get just what we need while we wait for Plus One.

Unfortunately, that just doesn't make it much easier to be away from my baby girl.

Our last family photo as a threesome, taken at the pool last night

No comments: