Saturday, July 4, 2015

One!

Today is my baby boy's first birthday! I cannot believe it has already been a year since I first heard his cries and held him against my face in the operating room, since we celebrated his arrival with cupcakes and balloons and his big sister and his Grammy, since we cuddled and watched the Fourth of July fireworks from the quiet calm of our hospital room when the chaos of the afternoon faded away. I can still see it in my mind and feel it in my heart as if it was just yesterday.

What a year this has been for our family. This year has brought a lot of ups and downs for us, and we are still riding that rollercoaster as I type these words. But no matter what else is going on around us, E.J. is always our happy place. I have never known a happier baby. He always has a smile, giggle, or hand-clap to fill the room with joy once again. He is very special.

E.J.'s birth changed our whole family. I love watching Eric parent both his children, his daughter and now his son. I love watching Ellie be a big sister—sure, she snatches a toy out of his hands from time to time (or, you know, constantly), but on the whole she is an adoring, sweet protector of "her baby." As for me, there have been times when it has been hard for me to adjust to being a mother of two, but any struggle I may have faced has been far outweighed in smiles, laughter and love. E.J. is happy, funny, inquisitive, adventurous, joyful, easy-going and sweet. I can't even put into words the way my heart aches with love for this baby boy. I am so incredibly blessed to be his mother.

As we have done for the past 11 months, Eric and I will be writing another letter to E.J. today. But, we wanted to enjoy the day with our little birthday boy (and celebrate the holiday!) before taking time to reflect fully on his first year. We'll be sharing his final first-year letter very soon! In the meantime, however, we put together this little video tribute to look back at our happy boy's first year. Please enjoy, and join us in celebrating our Eric James today!

\
VIDEO: E.J.'s First Year
***If you can't see the video above CLICK HERE to view it on YouTube***

Happy birthday, dear E.J.!

1 comment:

Marlon de Azambuja said...

Appreciate you blogging thhis