Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9.11.13

I hadn't planned to post about 9/11 today. I've posted enough about it over the years that you all know my thoughts, feelings, memories.

But, I've really been missing New York lately. Suffocatingly so, in fact. I had hoped that coming to Jacksonville would erase NYC from my mind, but the opposite has happened. I may speak more about that later, although I'm trying to suppress the urge, because haven't you all heard me wax poetic for New York quite enough?

But today in particular, for whatever reason, I feel lost without my city. I'm not sure why today is so much more intense; I did not live there on September 11, 2001, and to my knowledge, do not know anyone who was injured or lost a loved one in the attacks. I never even laid eyes on the World Trade Center site until six months after 9/11, when heaps of rubble still remained. But I have lived in that city and loved it with my whole heart and soul. I know its spirit and determination. I know its resiliency and strength. And somehow it just doesn't feel right to not be there anymore...especially today.

What happened twelve years ago today left a mark on all of us. Today I'll be thinking of and praying for those lives lost in New York, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania, and their families left to mourn. May they all find love, hope, resiliency and peace.

Last year's 9/11 Tribute in Light as seen from Pier A Park in Hoboken

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I can't even imagine how those in NY, DC and Pennsylvania must be feeling today. I do agree with you - there's a certain strength that is known only to NYC, and it's one of the many reasons I just love your home:)