Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Rainbow

Our view of the Empire State Building last night

Last night we had a crazy, sudden, torrential downpour-type storm - we're talking rain blowing sideways, the whole bit. It was very, "Auntie Em! Auntie Em!"

The strangest part was that even as I was wondering if Hoboken is equipped with tornado sirens, the sun was still shining brightly. The storm blew past just as quickly as it came, and I thought there was a good chance of a rainbow somewhere so the dog and I grabbed the camera and went downstairs.

As soon as we stepped out of the building, my jaw dropped. The most brilliant rainbow - a double rainbow, at that! - stretched from midtown Manhattan all the way downtown. The top of the arc was lost in the clouds for the most part, but it was a stunning sight. It was quite possibly the most vibrant rainbow I have ever seen. Really spectacular.

Double rainbow over midtown

The other end of the rainbow reaching downtown
(Also, see that building with the cranes sticking out at the top of it? That's the new World Trade Center building! It's getting so tall.)

I tried to fully capture it on video, if you're interested:

VIDEO: Summer rainbow over Manhattan

Just gorgeous.

7 comments:

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

Gorgeous photos! Coming from Southern California, crazy storms (especially when the sky turns green) scare me. I don't know if I'll ever get used to them or remember the difference between a tornado warning and a tornado watch and which is worse :)

Anonymous said...

Wow what a beautiful rainbow girl!!! :-)-Lauren

Kristina said...

You weren't crying at the sight of a double rainbow?? LOL Beautiful pictures!

Jessica said...

What a beautiful sight!!! Maybe I'll get lucky and have the same view in 2 weeks when we're in the city!!

Mrs. W. said...

Kristina - LOL! "What does this meeeeaaaaannnn? It's so intense!" I'll try to be more dramatic in all future rainbow videos! ;)

Jessica - I hope you have a beautiful view when you visit, but I hope you don't have to have rain to get it. :)

AD said...

Fireworks I can take or leave, but rainbows? Ahhhh, I'm a full-blown sucker. Beautiful.

KSK said...

LOL Kristina!!!
That is pretty amazing :)