Monday, May 2, 2011

Historical

As you all know by now, it was announced last night that Osama bin Laden was killed by U.S. troops in Pakistan last week. When the news broke, impromptu celebrations broke out all over the country, including crowds at the White House, the World Trade Center site, and Times Square.

Crowds gathered at the World Trade Center
(photo by the New York Times)

I'm not quite sure how I feel about celebrating death this way. I can't help but remember seeing images of people in Pakistan celebrating the attacks on the World Trade Center nearly 10 years ago and how sick that made me feel. Of course I understand that celebrating the killing of thousands of civilians is different from celebrating the death of an evil terrorist leader, but I'm still just feeling a bit conflicted. I think MLK said what I am feeling most eloquently:
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr. ("Strength to Love," 1963)
Personally, I am interpreting these events as more a time to reflect on the September 11th attacks and how our nation has changed since then, and to say a prayer for the victims and their families. May this bring them some peace.

That being said, I am so grateful to our military leaders and brave soldiers who have fought so long and hard to bring justice to America for what happened on September 11, 2001, and I do sincerely hope that bin Laden's death brings some sense of closure and comfort to the family and friends of the victims of that horrific attack and all others around the world who have been affected by bin Laden and Al-Qaeda. In addition to gratitude I also feel a sense of relief that bin Laden has finally been found and that chapter of the history books has closed. And of course, as always, I am proud to be an American.

New York City firefighters watching the news unfold in Times Square
(photo by the New York Times)

Thank you to all who have served to bravely in this war, and those who continue to serve and protect our nation. God Bless the USA.

3 comments:

KSK said...

I agree 100 percent with your post!

Kate said...

Well said!

Steph said...

Yes. Agreed.