Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Settling In

Well, we're a few days into Eric's first work week, so I thought I'd post a brief update as to how the W. family is settling in to NYC.

Eric's first week has been going well. He has already completed one assignment for a partner at the firm, and was told he did an "excellent" job (and I agree...I proofread it for him, and I thought it was a very well-written snoozefest). He has more work to do this week, in addition to the training he's been going through with the other new associates. We've also been deciding on a healthcare plan, which is very exciting (HOORAY for finally having health insurance again! I might go to the doctor just for fun). So far he hasn't had any super late nights at the office, but he has brought work home with him already. But, if he's going to be doing a lot of work at night, I'd rather have him here doing it than at the office!

Eric is able to take the bus to work if he wants...there's a bus that picks up a few blocks away and takes him right across town to his office. Or, it's about a 25 minute walk if he'd rather do that. He has started walking home at night, and he calls when he's leaving so the dog and I can start walking towards him and meet him halfway. It's a nice little evening walk for all of us.

Eric before his first day of work...doesn't he look sharp???
He's even wearing the cufflinks I got him for graduation, made from wood from an old Yankee Stadium seat.

Speaking of the dog, he is also adjusting surprisingly well. With the exception of one incident of misbehavior (pictured below), he seems to be settling in to our new apartment very well (although I don't think he's sold yet on the wood floors), and he seems to enjoy our neighborhood. There are lots of other dogs around, and there's just SO MUCH to smell on the streets of New York. He seems to enjoy his evening walks, just prancing along like he's been a New Yorker his whole life. City life suits him.

While in his crate, Achilles managed to push the bottom tray of the crate out and pull his dog bed in to tear apart (it had been left within reach of his crate, apparently).
Bad dog! Ah well, at least if he's going to ruin something, it's his own bed. At least he left our stuff alone.

And as for me, as Eric told me last night, unemployment seems to suit me! So far, anyway. I've been doing some sleeping in, late-night wine drinking, afternoon shopping on Madison Avenue, and some occasional housework. I'll tell ya what, if this is what life is like as a lawyer's wife, I could get used to it! I know, I know... sooner or later I'll need to get my life together and rejoin productive society, but for now I'm enjoying my little mini-vacation. I'm also getting more comfortable with navigating New York, and am feeling much better oriented as to where things are and how to get there. I haven't mastered the Subway yet, but I'll get the hang of it.

Me enjoying some local fare: Gray's Papaya! Mmm, hot dogs and grape drink.

So, we're all settling in quite nicely! Tomorrow night Eric's firm is hosting a Welcome cocktail party at a partner's house near our apartment, so Eric and I will be going to that. Then I'll be looking forward to this weekend and having some free time with Eric (and watching the Gators beat Tennessee!). But, so far, so good for this New York experiment!

No comments: