Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Motherhood Sisterhood

Happy Mother's Day, all! I hope you are spending your day with/calling/sending flowers to/otherwise doting on your mothers, and if you are a mother yourself, please stop reading my blog and go let people spoil you. This post will still be here tomorrow.

This year marks my second Mother's Day. Last year was my first, and I was only six weeks in to the whole motherhood thing. It was new and exciting and scary and beautiful, much like it still is today, to be honest. Ellie was just a little blob of nothing back then, and smiling was her newest trick. Now she's this mobile chatterbox who laughs and talks and is just the coolest ever.

 My girl

As I have grown as a mother this year, I have also been lucky enough to see many other new mothers come into their own, both friends and family. As I have joined this sort of motherhood sisterhood, I have come to realize how different each of us is. No two mamas are alike. Sometimes, our differences can lead to conflict, the so-called "mommy wars," where each feels so strongly that her way is the only way that all other options are signs of inferior parenting. When our mothering styles lead to such negativity, it's a really sad thing.

Because really, our differences are what make motherhood so incredible. It can really be like a sisterhood, with each woman there for the other, to offer support, advice, encouragement and love. The veteran mothers can offer their words of advice based on years of experience, and those in the throes of new motherhood with me can commiserate and empathize as no one else can. There is much to be gained from watching other mamas in action, and the knowledge that we are never alone in our struggles is endlessly uplifting.

I am so blessed to know so many beautiful, inspiring mothers in my life: my own, my mother-in-law, our grandmothers, in-laws, cousins, aunts, friends. I admire each of them for their own unique strengths they bring to their families and am so thankful for their support and guidance as I try to figure out just what kind of mother I am. Their experiences in turn make me a better mother, and I hope that I, too, can uplift and encourage them on their journey.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you: the veterans, the newbies, and the future mothers. Thank you for all you've done to shape the mother I am becoming.

Some of the amazing mothers in my life! Happy Mother's Day to you all!

3 comments:

Molly said...

I love being a new mama with you, Meghan! It's the best! Happy Mother's Day!

Lauren said...

Happy Mother's Day sweet lady! Great collage :-)

Kate said...

So very well said. Love this post.