Monday, December 3, 2012

Favorite NY Memories #2: Central Park Snow Day


Given my very consistent whining about winter weather every year, it may be a little surprising that the #2 spot on this list goes to a snow day. In the 2010-2011 winter season, we were blessed (?) with two very large snowstorms, much bigger than any we had seen since leaving Florida. On this particular day, the day that nearly tops my Favorite NY Memories Countdown, we woke up to another 15-19 inches of freshly-fallen snow. Eric had to go in to work, but I decided to walk with him to take some pictures. I figured I would walk east to Rockefeller Center then up for a brief jaunt through Central Park before heading home. I had work to do from home that day, so I planned to make things quick.

Needless to say, I ended up spending over two hours walking through the park. The wind was still so the snow clung to the tree branches, the sky was a divine shade of blue, and the sun was shining. It was a weekday, so the park was not very crowded. It was quiet and peaceful and beautiful, an actual real-life winter wonderland. I may have planned to only make a quick pass through the park, but I got so caught up in the beauty of it all that my feet just kept going and going and going.

The Bridge

Snowy walkway

Gorgeous trees

Winter wonderland

The Mall

I was just so in awe of it all. I just remember thinking in the moment what a special experience this was - to have this wonderland right there in the middle of Manhattan, the result of exactly the right conditions, and I was able to spend my morning there taking it all in. It was so serene and was just unlike anything I had ever seen.

For that morning, all my usual griping about snow seemed nonsensical. What could there be to complain about, when it is so very beautiful?

And then I exited the park, the sun disappeared and the sky clouded over, the wind picked up, and a huge truck sprayed icy slush all over me as I waited to cross the street at an intersection. Then, both my snow boots sprung leaks, leaving my socks cold and wet for nearly my entire walk home. So, yeah. That winter love was short-lived. Don't be fooled, my friends. Winter sucks.

Although, this one magical winter day also brings a couple other things to mind. One is another New York snow day that was actually pretty fun. This was the first major snowfall of the same winter season, in December 2010. We got 19 inches of snow, including thundersnow, which is a real thing. The day after the storm, Eric and I went out about town to check things out and spent our afternoon climbing on gigantic snowdrifts like all adults do. We also scored rather cheap tickets to see Billy Elliot on Broadway thanks to a Snow Day Special. Once again, snow was making a pretty good case for itself. But don't be fooled!

Left: Enjoying the snowy afternoon on Sixth Avenue
Right: Me atop a snow drift on Sixth Avenue; me atop a snow drift in Times Square

As a side note, this was the same snowstorm during which Eric took the following photo of a man skiing down our street:

Just skiing on past our grocery store

I posted that picture to Twitter and ended up being nominated for a Shorty Award for it! Oh, New York. Sometimes I really can't do anything but sit back and shake my head at some of the crazy things that have happened to us here!

Anyway, the Central Park Snow Day also brings to mind other seasons in the park. Eric and I made it a point to try to take in each season in Central Park, including spring:

Spring in Central Park

Summer:

Top: Summer at the Bridge
Bottom: Playing checkers in the Park; Shakespeare in the Park at the Delacorte Theater; checking out the sea lions at the Central Park Zoo

And of course, fall:

Fall in Central Park

The fall day pictured at top left above was one of my other favorite seasonal days in the park. It was November 2012, the leaves were at their most beautiful, and Eric and I took advantage of the day (knowing our days as only a couple were limited, before Ellie would be joining us in a few months) by renting boats from the Boathouse and enjoying the fall foliage that way. It was fun and relaxing and gorgeous. Overall, a perfect afternoon, and one we often think back on fondly.

Even with all these lovely seasonal days in Central Park, that snow day in January 2011 takes the cake for me. It was just such a lovely, peaceful day and I won't soon forget how lucky and awestruck I felt as I admired the beautiful scenery. I've never seen anything like it and now, certainly won't again for a very long time.

To read all about that Central Park Snow Day, click here. Also, click here to read about the December 2010 snowstorm, here for that fall afternoon spent boating in the Park, or here for more posts about Central Park.

1 comment:

jessica said...

You know me, winter obsessed, I am loving the pictures from that gorgeous snow day!! I'm sure the aftermath isn't so pretty but you're so lucky to have been there at that moment. It's incredibly cool that your picture got nominated for a shorty!! You have the best stories! :)