Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Setback

So my "I Love Fall! No Really, I Do" Mission took a hit yesterday when Eric sent me this picture from his Blackberry on his way home from work:


Can you tell what that is? That's the Rockefeller Center ice skating rink going up. The nice, overpriced al fresco dining of summer has been replaced by sheets of ice for overpriced skating. As soon as this photo popped up on my phone, all my "I'm So Happy It's Fall!" nonsense went right out the window and I found myself curled in a fetal position on the floor with my eyes squeezed shut, rocking and moaning "nononononononono."

This was made even worse by Bryant Park's announcement that their skating rink will be operational by the end of the month, and their holiday shops will be up by the first week in November. NONONONONONONONO. Too much, too fast. I was doing so well and now I've taken two steps back. And the worst part? Bryant Park is my favorite winter/Christmas place in the city! But still, the thought of its return makes me weep. What is wrong with me?

Can anyone offer advice for dealing with this sense of dread? I'm starting to be concerned for myself here. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it? If my overload of fall fun this weekend didn't help, I don't know what will. We are finally supposed to get some sunshine and temperatures should warm back up to near 70 this weekend, so maybe that will help?

Sigh. Winter is coming. Don't let any amount of fall fun fool you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up Meghan! Try to think of Christmas and all the winter fun that brings! After that, I don't know what to tell you. I basically hibernate until Spring myself.......
Aunt Rachel

Dad said...

Skip Mexico and come to Florida!

Dad said...

How about this attempt? Think of how spectacular the city is all decorated for the holidays. And with all that up early, you can enjoy it before it gets to freakin cold. That work?

Becky said...

The only fix I know is to move to Florida. That's what saved me from the same yearly dread. :-)

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.