Thursday, October 28, 2010

Rainbows

Yesterday, the weather was dreary all day long. It finally started raining a bit in the late afternoon. Then, at about 6:00, suddenly the sun came out. It was very bright, and because I had just been outside in the rain moments before, I knew this had to mean a rainbow would be showing up somewhere. The last time I saw a rainbow over the city, it was so gorgeous. I've been dying to catch another.

 A sudden burst of sunshine over rainy New York

I ran over to the window, pulled the blinds all the way up, opened up the window and stuck my head out. Sure enough, there was a full rainbow to the northeast. I could see the complete arc - I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. It only lasted a few moments, but it was stunning.

This is two different pictures I took, but if you put them side by side it almost makes the whole skyline and full rainbow! This is what I saw from our window.

The rainbow extends over the Upper West Side

The arc over the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle

If you want to see more (even better) photos of the rainbow taken by other New Yorkers, check out this one, this one and this one. In the last two photos, you can even see it as a double rainbow. Beautiful.

I just love rainbows. I love them not only because they're pretty, but because they're a sign of hope - hope for a future that is bright. Hope that the dark days will pass. Hope for a new start. Hope is something that is very important to me, because if you have hope, you can get through any obstacle you may face. All you need is hope, and you can persevere, and things will get better. That's an incredible thing.

Don't you just love rainbows?

No comments: