Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Little Random NYC Fun

It has been a long time since I have just shared a few random pictures of interesting things we see on the streets of NYC (see here and here for previous installments). You see, I always carry my camera with me when we're out and about, because you just never know what you may see. This results in lots of miscellaneous pictures of interesting things that don't really fit with any of my usual recap posts. Hence, you get a post with a hodgepodge of NYC randomness. Here we go:

This is a man walking his TWO BRIGHT PINK DOGS downtown. We saw this after Eric ran the NYC Half Marathon the second time. This guy makes me ask questions: Why pink? Did he buy white dogs with the intention of dying them pink? Did he buy the pink leashes after he dyed the dogs because they matched, or did he dye the dogs to match the leashes? Are they always pink, or does he switch up the color? If he does switch it up, does he have leashes to match those colors, too? Or, is this not even his doing? Maybe these are his girlfriend's dogs. If so, do they fight when he has to walk them? Does he feel ridiculous walking two bright pink dogs? How do the dogs feel about this? So many questions, so few answers. All I have is a picture of a man and his bright pink dogs.

Speaking of dogs, here is one swimming in a fountain at Columbus Circle. He was just hanging out. Poor, hot doggy.

As we walked past the southwest corner of Central Park one evening, we saw this man sweeping up what looked like a very elaborate design made with sidewalk chalk. It seemed like an awful lot of work just to sweep it up a few hours later!

Then, more recently, I caught sight of the same man starting his sidewalk chalk design:

He has bags of crushed chalk (I assume) and he drizzles it out onto the sidewalk with his hands. It looked very painstaking. One of these days, I'd like to see the completed design before it is swept up.

This is a bird eating a piece of pizza. Everybody loves New York pizza, even birds.

This is one of our nearest McDonald's locations. I posted our closest McDonald's in my second random post because they deliver, which is crazy. I'm posting this one because of that window right by the car - the Walk-Up window. We have no drive-thrus in this city (at least not that I am aware of), and these types of places don't have parking lots, either (nor do they have Dollar Menus, but that's another issue). The NYC solution is a walk-up window, obviously.

This is Eric actually at the walk-up window. He's a good walk-up window model.

This was a pretty crazy window display. I believe it was done to promote the opening of a new store on the East side, but I don't remember which store or what the situation exactly was. Basically, it was two girls in the store window, changing clothes, walking around in their underwear, brushing each others' hair, taking pictures, etc. It was quite a sight (it's not everyday you have half-naked girls on display on Fifth Avenue) and drew quite a crowd.

This isn't really a random NYC picture, it's just a pretty picture of the Empire State Building in it's classic white lighting with the moon. I like it.

I just saw this guy this past weekend in front of Port Authority, when I was waiting for Eric's airport bus to show up. He had a complete neon-green body suit on. It even covered his whole face. I don't get it, but hey, it happened.

I saw this discarded mattress in the Village. I liked the message someone had written on it: "Become Your Dream." Even the trash can be inspiring in New York City.

And just for good measure, I thought I would end with a picture of a very pretty sunset sky from a couple of weeks ago. This view just never gets old.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I love your color commentary with each picture. What an imagination you have!

Lucia said...

I LOVE this post! You can make a "Sights of NYC" photo book!