Thursday, October 23, 2008

Random and Unrelated

There is no point to this post, really. I just wanted to share a small hodgepodge of pictures of various New York sights we've come across since moving here. These are pictures that really don't fit with any particular post subject, so I'm clumping them together and giving them to you, largely as a way to entertain myself while I am home alone (Eric is in Minneapolis).

This picture is of something we saw fairly early on in our New York lives. Apparently it was a promotion/advertising gimmick for some dog-training company. It was just what it looks like - a pile of dogs laying on the sidewalk. I wonder how many of them would have kept laying still like this if we had brought psycho Achilles with us on this walk?

This bike is usually parked on 54th Street, near our apartment. It's covered in Subway cards, including a "chain" made of them. I did actually see the owner riding this bike one day - he looks like your average, middle-aged, white guy. He was wearing a white button-down shirt and glasses. I imagine that decorating his bike with MetroCards is his outlet from the cruel business world, or something.

This is Eric and Achilles in Central Park. I wouldn't really call them a random sight in NYC, but I do think they're both pretty cute, so I thought I'd throw them in here.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that we are very near the Hudson River and can sometimes hear ship horns from our apartment. This is a picture of a ship on the Hudson, actually taken from our living room window! So, you can kind of get an idea of how close we are to the water.

ATTENTION: Winter is coming! We've had a drastic weather change over the past couple of weeks. Two weeks ago, it was 75 degrees and sunny. Now, the high temperatures are in the 50s. Plus, the other day I took the dog out in the morning, and not only was it 40-some degrees outside, but it even smelled cold. Know what I mean? And in case you still don't believe me that the seasons are changing, check out the transformation of Rockefeller Center pictured above. The outdoor dining area is now the famous ice-skating rink! Eric and I discovered this change over the weekend. Hopefully we'll get a chance to get out there and do some skating. I can't wait until they put the Christmas tree up, too! (Hey, if it's going to be winter whether I like it or not, I may as well embrace it.)

This is the statue of Atlas at Rockefeller Center. I'm sure it has some sort of cultural/artistic significance other than being featured in the opening credits of Saturday Night Live, but that's where I recognized it from. We actually never realized this was here, and it's right across the street from St. Patrick's Cathedral, so we've passed it tons of times. We were just always so busy looking at the Cathedral that we never noticed it.

And this last picture is for my lamppost-loving blog readers, because I know you're out there! (Seriously, some of my blog readers like to take pictures of lampposts.) This beauty is outside the Plaza Hotel. Fancy, eh?

And that'll do it for my random picture-posting tonight. Now it's back to studying and cheering on the Rays for the evening! Tomorrow my husband returns (yay!), and on Saturday Heather is coming (yay!), so I have a lot to look forward to! Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meghan Great Pictures

Lauren said...

Love all the pictures, I'm so jealous of the ice skating, def a place I've always wanted to go with Cliff :-)

Unknown said...

Yay lamppost!