Thursday, October 16, 2008

Living the Lawyer Life

Lawyer life feels like it's in full swing now.

Eric started off his job with very little to do. Now, it's the complete opposite. He's been working on a closing for the last two weeks, which means he has rarely been getting home before 8:00. Last night he didn't get home until 10:30, and at that point, he had yet to eat either lunch or dinner because he had been working too hard all day. Tonight he should be able to get home a little earlier, although it will still be late enough to make him miss the firm volleyball game tonight (he's captain of the team). The closing is winding down, which is why he's able to get out a little earlier tonight, but he also received a new assignment today that will probably force him to work some this weekend. He's also going to Minneapolis for a work-related trip next week, and he'll likely have to work on this new project from his hotel. 

I miss my husband! I know this is what I signed up for, and really, it could be a lot worse. His long hours still aren't as long as many other lawyers out there, so I'm glad for that. And all this work really is good for him - some of his fellow first-year associates have yet to bill any hours since starting work a month ago, so he's ahead of the game in that regard. Plus, this new assignment he got came directly from a partner, and it is the sort of thing a higher-level associate would normally do. I think that speaks to the partner's confidence in the quality of Eric's work, which is great.

It's just a bummer that he's been so busy this week and potentially this weekend, because this weekend is the last time we have together with nothing scheduled to do for a while. He leaves for Minneapolis on Tuesday and will return on Friday. My sister is coming to visit (yay!) the day after he gets back, and she'll be here until the following Wednesday. Then that following Friday I'm leaving for Columbus for a mock trial for the weekend. When I get back, I'll have tons of work to do, finishing up my report for the project and also doing some last minute cramming, because the Psych GRE is the following Saturday. And then the weekend after THAT will be cramming for the regular GRE, which I'm taking on Tuesday, Nov. 18. Then we'll begin preparing for Thanksgiving and my dad coming to town (another yay!). So, we're gearing up for a busy few weeks.

And something else that's approaching fast is....BAR EXAM RESULTS. Many states have already released their bar exam results, including Virginia and Florida, but New York probably won't release theirs until mid-November. But, the time is fast approaching, so I hope Eric doesn't start getting nervous! I'm sure he passed with flying colors. Our good friend Jeff found out today that he passed in Virginia (Congrats, Jeff!), and Eric's friend Eric found out a couple of weeks ago that he passed in Florida (Congrats, Eric!). I can't wait until it's time to congratulate my husband! Hopefully he'll get his results right around when I finish all my GRE stuff, and we can go out for one big, giant, celebratory, "NO MORE TESTS" dinner. I foresee delicious food and lots o' wine.

So, that's the update on lawyer life right now. I know I rambled on for a bit, so here's the CliffsNotes version of this post: Eric is busy. I miss him but it's a good thing that he's busy. He's going to pass the bar. Hooray!

No comments: