Friday, April 2, 2010

Toni

I realized this week that it has been quite some time since I really posted an update on my mother-in-law, Toni. Many of you have been so sweet and kind and thoughtful, and have been praying for her and asking about her, and I appreciate that so much. I don't want to be someone who just talks about these things in the bad times; Toni has made such phenomenal progress since this whole thing started on October 30th and that deserves some major recognition. The whole progression gives me so much hope, which I also felt was a fitting way to kick off the Easter weekend. Because isn't that what it's all about?

I did mention that I was able to see her in February before I left for my cruise. At that point I was so amazed at the difference in her. The last time I had seen her prior to that was November, when Eric and I flew to Florida with very heavy hearts and low expectations. There were lots of tears and lots of prayers. By the grace of God, things did start to make a positive turn. By the time we left Florida, she was responding, but sporadically and weakly. Still, it gave us hope. She was in there.

And we were so right. When I saw her in February, she smiled and waved me into her room. I was able to sit on her bed while she sat in her wheelchair. I was able to watch her eat some pasta and bread, on her own, with a fork - no feeding tube required. I was able to watch her mouth a request for hot dogs for the following day. I was able to walk alongside her wheelchair as we took her around the facility. I was able to see her lifting her shoulders in physical therapy, and hear the nurse say she even felt some slight movement in her right side. I was able to hug her and feel her hug me back.

Since then, even more progress has been made. Toni is now living at a new facility, where she can get dressed every day (no more hospital gowns!) and even go on outings. This week, Kelley took her to Target for shopping and lunch and some time outside. How wonderful! She continues to eat on her own, and I hear she was even treated to some homemade lasagna this week courtesy of my sister-in-law Stephanie. The family has plans for Easter dinner at the hospital too, and Toni even has a new Easter blouse to wear.

Another huge development is that Toni has had the trach completely removed from her throat (originally inserted for her to breathe) and is even able to SPEAK now, not just mouth words! I even had the privilege of speaking to her on the phone the other night. It was so incredible to hear her voice. I hadn't heard that voice in far too long.

Of course, as always, there is still a long road ahead. In talking to her, she sometimes struggles to think of words or say what she wants to say. (Of course, other times she says things like "vacate the premises," so she does alright!) I know there's still a ways to go for her. I worry about her emotional state sometimes - I know she just wants to go home, and we all want her home, too. But I know she's a tough woman who will fight her way through. I continue to have hope for her future, and she's already come so far.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers for Toni and the rest of the family. Please, don't stop now even though things are improving. I know your prayers helped get us this far, so please keep 'em coming.

I just think my mother-in-law is amazing. I'm really lucky to have her and to be a part of her family. What an inspiring woman. Love you, Toni!

Toni on the day of her Target outing with Kelley - doesn't she look great?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Meghan!

Love you!

Kell

Dad said...

Lots of progress with lots of prayers.

Becky said...

Wow, she is amazing and looks fabulous! You go, Toni! It is truly proof that God works in miraculous ways. What an Easter gift she is to you all.
Love,
Mom