Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Quarter of a Century of Sister Fun

Today, my little sister turns 25 years old.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEATHER!

Did you know that seeing my sister for the first time is my earliest memory? It seems impossible because I was so young (and maybe that memory has been strengthened by photos over time), but I think that shows that from the very beginning, from her very first days, I knew how important she would be in my life.

It also was the day that I got Sharri, so that probably helped. Sharri was my Cabbage Patch Doll. She was also a very big part of my life.

I remember being at my grandparents' house, my Nana and Gramps. In retrospect, it makes sense that I was probably staying there while my mom was in the hospital. My Nana gave me a Cabbage Patch Doll named Sharri, which also makes sense because that's just how Nana was. She always gave me gifts on Heather's birthday and vice versa, so we wouldn't feel left out when our sister was getting so much attention. Sharri ended up being my most favorite toy (and she still lives with me here in NYC).

I remember going to the hospital and seeing my mom. I remember lifting Sharri's dress and showing my mom her little outie belly button.

I remember my dad there. I think he was wearing some sort of hospital gown or something, the kind you put over your clothes so you don't bring in germs. I could be wrong about that, but that's the feeling I have.

I remember looking through that little window at my sister and seeing her for the first time. She had dark hair and little feet.

I remember my "I'm the Big Sister" t-shirt. I think it was yellow.

It's not a clear memory, that's for sure. It was 25 years ago, after all! But I can still remember it. I remember my new sister. I remember my parents. I remember a really awesome day.

Looking through the window at my new sister (you can see the top of Sharri's head at the bottom of the picture, too)

Hello, sister.

And that's my very first memory, now 25 years old. I feel very blessed to have such an awesome girl for my sister, and I wish her a very happy birthday!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEATHER!

3 comments:

Dad said...

snuffle sniff

Lauren said...

how sweet! she is so lucky to have a big sis like you :-)

Anonymous said...

Very awesome bond you two have. I may even be a little jealous I never had a sister.

Love,
Kelley