Friday, May 9, 2008

Nana

As Mother's Day approaches, I've been thinking a lot about my grandmother, Nana. She passed away nearly three years ago. I think about her a lot around Mother's Day, because that was the last time I really got to see her up and about and talk with her. She had cancer, and was getting worse by May 2005. My mother had been flying back and forth from Florida to Cleveland to help my grandfather care for her, and was planning a trip for Mother's Day weekend. I decided to come along as a surprise for Nana. Of course she was thrilled, and I was so glad that I made the decision to go. The next time I saw her, she was unresponsive and passed away a few days later. I will always be grateful that I was able to spend that last weekend with her.

Nana was an amazing woman. She was beautiful, inside and out. Her family was second only to her God, and she always thought of others before herself. She was generous and kind. She would always give me presents on my sister's birthday (and vice versa) so that I didn't feel left out because Heather was getting all the attention. She always made sure everyone in her house was well-fed and comfortable. She always remembered how much I loved potatoes and made sure there was an extra twice-baked potato for me. She was always certain that going to bed with a wet head would lead to pneumonia or rheumatism (once or twice, I believe this even led to her purchasing a hair dryer for me). She used to make us sweatshirts with various designs on them, including the infamous poinsettia sweatshirts that all the ladies of the family wore every Christmas for years. Her hair was always perfectly styled. She loved gardenias. She made sure the family got together for reunions each summer. She and my grandfather had an inspiring marriage. She was a wonderful wife, mother, and grandmother. She was an angel.

So, I always think of her a little bit more than usual around Mother's Day. I remember while I was there that weekend my mom bought me a big stuffed pig. Nana thought it was so cute, and as we left for the airport to return home, I kissed Nana goodbye and then walked out with that pig under my arm, which she seemed to think was just adorable. I looked back and saw her laying there, laughing at me with that pig under my arm. That's a laugh I'll never forget.

I miss you, Nana. Ich liebe dich!

Me with Nana and Gramps, June 2004

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meghan-what a beautiful tribute to Nana! You described her so well...I miss her too!

Love ya,
Aunt Rachel