Sunday, June 1, 2008

Pastor Gramps

Pastor Gramps holding baby me

Today, the church that I attended as a child in Cleveland is throwing a celebration in honor of my grandfather, and the 60th anniversary of his ordination. Gramps was a Pastor at that church for years and years, and still lives in the former "Pastor's house" behind the church. That church, and Gramps' ministry, have been a big part of our family's lives. 

Some of my favorite memories of Gramps are of him in his role as Pastor of our church. For example, I think of him every Easter Sunday, when the Pastor says "Christ is risen!" and the congregation is expected to respond, "He is risen, indeed!" I have never seen another Pastor say that with as much enthusiasm, spirit, and inspiration as Gramps always did. He would have the congregation shouting back at him in no time!

Gramps, congratulations on 60 years of faithful service. You are such an inspiration to your family. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you today, but I'm thinking of you!

No comments: