Monday, October 5, 2009

Bon Voyage, Heather!

Early tomorrow morning, my sister is leaving for Los Angeles to start the next chapter in her professional life. As I mentioned, she has signed a contract as a singer on Princess Cruise Lines, and tomorrow is the big day that it all begins. Today was her last day at Busch Gardens, and she tells me that her friends came out in abundance to cheer her on for her last performance. After five years, it's hard to believe that chapter of her life is coming to a close.

My baby sister - she may have grown up, but she's always been beautiful!

This new opportunity is so incredible. I'm so excited for her (and jealous!) that I can hardly stand it. She sent me a sample itinerary, which includes places like Rome, Naples, Athens, Istanbul, Greece, Cairo, Florence, Cannes, Barcelona, Morocco, Brazil, and Barbados. And that is only a SAMPLING of the places she will visit! Can you believe that? I'm totally moving in with her. Peace out, Eric! (Okay, not really.) Plus, in addition to all those cool things to see, she has all the amenities and fun of a cruise ship at her disposal. Plus, when she does have to drag herself away from the fun and sightseeing to work, she'll be doing something that she loves. Just amazing.

Heather's new home for the next six months!

Even though I am just beside myself with excitement for her, I'm also a little sad. I can't believe I'm not going to see her for six months. I know, I know...I moved away first, so I should be used to this. But I just can't even imagine going home to visit and not having her be there. Not at Christmas in Florida, not in Cleveland, not at Thanksgiving, not even any visits to New York for her. No Heather for six months. I think that will be the longest I have ever gone without seeing my sister since the day she was born.

Meeting my sister for the first time (1985)

Baby me admiring baby Heather (1985)

Heather is a wonderful sister, and my best friend. She has been there for me through thick and thin. I appreciate her so much in my life. I know, I'm being a little melodramatic. It's only six months, and it's great for her. We'll still be able to talk and email and send letters. It even seems silly to be sad that we'll be in different parts of the world, when for so many years we've been in different parts of the country. But hey, I can't explain it. When she leaves, I'll miss her even more than I already do now. It makes me think back and chuckle about when we first moved to Florida, and we got our own rooms for the first time - we used Walkie-Talkies to talk to each other at night through the wall between us, because it just seemed like we were too far apart for comfort. Things have changed now...but only in that email and cell phones will have to replace those Walkie-Talkies!

Laying with baby Heather (1985)

Reading to my sister (1985)

Because I'm feeling nostalgic, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite pictures of Heather and me from our childhood, and even more recently as we've grown up. She's just awesome.

Enjoying some Ohio sunshine (1986)

With our hair in curlers for church! (1988)

On Easter Sunday (1990)

Ready for our ballet recital (1990)

At Heather's high school graduation (2003)

At my apartment in Gainesville (2003)

Working together at Steak 'N Shake - she has a much better job now! (2004)

Ringing in the New Year together in Florida (2007-08)

Heather, I wish you all the best as you embark on this adventure. You deserve nothing but success, happiness, love, and all the great things this world has to offer. I hope you enjoy every moment of the next six months. I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about everything you see and do. I'm your biggest fan and I'll be cheering you on from afar - you're already a star in my book! Safe travels! Love you!

1991

2 comments:

Dad said...

It is not just you. Since she moved back home, she has been gone as much as here, but knowing she has moved away again is tough. I am so excited for her but the empty nest thing is part of the territory. I am proud and thankful for the lives you two have built. TWO amazing ladies.

Becky said...

What a trip down memory lane! And what a nice tribute to your sister. You guys are the best and I love you!
Mom