Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Twenty-Six


Some of you may have noticed that in all the birthday pictures I have posted of my Dad (here and here), I am helping him to blow out his birthday candles. Why is that, you wonder? That's because my dad and I have always shared our birthday celebrations, because his birthday is the day before mine (or, mine is the day after his, depending on how you want to look at it). Which means...today is my birthday!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Mrs. W. is twenty-six years old today. I'm okay with that, really. I've had a pretty great twenty-six years, with this last year being particularly wonderful. My life is in a good place, and it's on the brink of some exciting new things.

Turning 25 made me feel old for some reason, but 26 isn't having the same effect. Well, not the turning 26 part. What is actually making me feel a little bit old is that today is also my cousin Adam's birthday (Happy Birthday, Adam!). Interestingly enough, Adam's dad's birthday is also the day before his (Happy belated Birthday, Uncle Mark!)- what are the odds that my mother and her sister would both marry men with the same birthday, and give birth to their firstborns on the same day?

Anyway, my cousin is turning 18 today. Wow! That makes me feel old, only because it reminds me that it has already been 8 years since I turned 18 years old. At that time, I was getting ready to go off to college, which was such an exciting time. I don't really think of myself as being that far removed from my college life, so I have to remind myself from time to time that it has already been four years since my college graduation, and 8 years since I left home for the wonderful world of Gainesville. My, how time flies. But, I digress. Happy 18th, Adam!

My birthday this year is going to be pretty low-key. Eric is in hard-core study mode, considering that the bar exam is a week from today. We had a little mini celebration last night, with cake and presents. Eric made me a delicious chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, decorated with sprinkles.

Me with my birthday cake (it says "26!!" in case you can't make it out)

My cake and our improvised birthday candles

Then, I opened my presents from my boys. Eric got me a really nice card and some Wii Fit accessories (hooray for my new yoga mat!). And Achilles gave me a great card with a $2 bill inside and some kibble. He promptly ate my kibble after I opened the card. But, I know he did it with love and sincerest birthday wishes.

Me with Achilles, his card, $2 bill, and my kibble. Can you tell he's about to devour it?

I also have gotten some very nice, thoughtful cards in the mail this week. Thank you to everyone for thinking of me on my birthday!

This morning, my day began with a great birthday voicemail from my mother-in-law, and Eric surprised me with a delicious breakfast: hash browns and eggs scrambled with cheese, onions and peppers. Yum!

What a great way to start the day!

Today I'll be working during the day then going out for dinner and drinks with my friend Leah tonight. Leah's boyfriend went to law school with Eric, and is also taking the New York bar next week, so she understands what it's like to be a "bar exam widow," if you will. I'm sure we'll be swapping stories and drowning our troubles in a glass of wine or two!

There is something interesting to me about this birthday, that I'd like to share with you. So, let me tell you a little story. Ten years ago today, I was turning 16 years old. And not long before my 16th birthday, I saw this really cute boy at the pool at my mom's house. Turns out his name was Eric, and he was mighty dreamy. I tried to get up my nerve to invite him to my 16th birthday party, but just couldn't do it. So, my little sister came to the rescue and invited him...and he came! And that was the first time we really hung out together. At the end of my party, he even gave me a hug, and I totally swooned. Looking back, I never would have thought that 10 years later I would be turning 26 years old, and that cute boy from the pool would be my studying-for-the-bar husband. What a fantastic turn of events...the best birthday present a girl could ever ask for.

A few of my friends at my 16th birthday party...including my future husband!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

ha ha i remember that. Happy birthday!