Friday, July 18, 2008

Why So Serious(ly AWESOME, Batman)?


Last night Eric took a break from studying for the bar so that we could go see the highly-anticipated new Batman movie, The Dark Knight. We went to the 12:01 a.m. showing! It was my first midnight movie ever. I was absolutely exhausted by the time we got home, but boy oh boy, was it worth it! Frankly, I was pretty exhausted before the movie even began. Where have my days of all-nighters gone, that midnight is no longer considered "a reasonable hour?"

Eric and I before the movie - pretty excited!

Pretty excited, but also pretty tired. A pre-movie nap didn't sound like a terrible idea.

Goodness, was this movie ever hyped up before release. Last night, our movie theater was showing it on seven different screens at 12:01, and five of them had sold out by Thursday. Outrageous. If you haven't seen this movie yet, you're probably wondering, "can it live up to the hype?" Why, yes. Yes, it can. I'm no professional movie critic, but let me give you my overall review.

The movie was absolutely fantastic. It was dark and twisted. It was incredible to watch. It kept you on the edge of your seat, nearly always in suspense. It was so suspenseful, in fact, that I had to do my patented only-half-watch-the-movie-through-your-fingers-while-you-cover-your-eyes-with-your-hands move. (This move is my general reaction to suspense or uncertainty. I assume the same position during horror movies and close Gator games.) The movie was smart and riveting. It highlighted the fine line between good and evil...what would it take to make you cross that line? Can anyone fall from the good side and become the villain?

Good vs. Evil, if you will.

With this movie, Christian Bale is now officially my favorite Batman. Sorry, Michael Keaton, your day is done. Plus I find Christian somewhat pretty to look at, so you know, that's nice. In this movie Bruce Wayne is conflicted and struggles to find the balance between Bruce and Batman. Christian Bale plays it very well. And let me tell you about the toys. If you thought Batman had cool gadgets before, wait until you see the Bat Bike. Or, how he catches a plane. Really cool stuff!

Don't worry, Christian/Bruce, that suit will look great on you.

The Bat Bike!

And the Joker. Heath Ledger as the Joker was superb. Again, he absolutely deserves all they praise he has been getting for this movie. I thought the Scarecrow from Batman Begins was a terrifying villain, but he can't come close to the Joker. The Joker is a true psychopath, a madman, who is unpredictable and knows no limits in his quest for a "better class of criminal." Heath Ledger did an amazing job - the voice, the laugh, the walk, the little mannerisms, all wonderful. Every time the Joker was on the screen, I felt tense, because there was no knowing what could come next. He was incredibly sinister and very, very frightening.

So scary!

"Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint"

So, in case it isn't clear from my gushing thus far, we really loved this movie. There's a very good chance we'll even go see it again after the bar exam. There was so much to take in and so many twists and turns in the plot, that to be honest, my sleepy, 26-years-old-on-Tuesday, 3:00am brain couldn't fully grasp it all. I am anxious to see it again to pick up on things I likely missed the first time around.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering if movie theater popcorn is any good at midnight, I can tell you that yes, it most certainly is.

No comments: