Friday, February 3, 2012

Feeling Wicked

This past Wednesday night Eric and I had another Broadway date night, this time to see Wicked at the Gershwin Theater.

Eric almost got hit by a cab to get this shot, so please enjoy it.

The Gershwin Theater

Now, we already saw Wicked once before, back when Eric was a summer associate here the summer before our wedding. I came up from D.C. to visit him a week or two before my birthday, and he used his summer allowance (or whatever the firm calls the "Here's Some Spending Money So You Can See How Awesome NYC Is and Come Work For Us" allowance they give their summer associates) to buy Wicked tickets for us that weekend. If I know us at all, I'm sure we went to a super-fancy dinner at KFC or some other fast food beforehand, then went for drinks and appetizers at the Hard Rock Cafe afterwards. We were a predictable sort back then, but we sure did enjoy our summer weeekends in the city! And I fell in love with Wicked instantly. I knew nothing of the story or music going in, and I was just blown away. It was incredible.

Before Wicked back in July of 2007

We've been wanting to see Wicked again since coming back to NYC, but it's just one of those shows that always sells out so you can never find dicsounted tickets. Until we did! Because Eric is awesome! Right now Broadway Week is underway, which offers 2-for-1 tickets to select shows. Eric happened to check out Wicked at just the right time, and just like that, we had our discount Wicked tickets in hand.

The funny thing that I realized last night is that the first time we saw this show, we were just a little over a month away from getting married. This time, we're just about two months away from having our first baby. Clearly, we love to see Wicked right before big life events, right? Needless to say, I am a bit less svelte this time around:

The belly is getting out of control

At least my shoes still match my bag?

(Also, side note: it got up to 60 degrees on Wednesday. Wait, what? First day of February, and 60 degrees? Hence, my flats and unbuttoned coat. Such warmth!)

As soon as we stepped inside the lobby of the theater, I got excited. This theater seems to be one of the few where the lobby is decorated in honor of the show (aside from the usual souvenir stand, of course), which is pretty cool.

Dragon clock

Maps of Oz on the walls

Even more exciting is the stage - that big dragon is just so cool. And our seats were very good!

Eric snuck an iPhone picture inside the theater, because he is a rebel

The show was fantastic, as expected. We loved every second of it, particularly the end of the first act, which is just so BIG. It was great to see the show again now that I'm familiar with the soundtrack, to sort of put everything back into context again. And of course, for just about every song I was all, "oooh, good, I love this one!" Honestly, great show. If you haven't seen Wicked, you must.

We weren't the only ones who loved it, either - Baby Girl "danced" up a storm during all the musical numbers! I'll tell you what, she is a Broadway girl. Maybe she'll take after her Auntie Heather and want to be a performer. She really seems to respond to music!

Speaking of, Baby's love for Darren Criss has been well-documented already and I got more proof of that with this week's episode of Glee (which was awesome, by the way). During the opening Blaine number, Baby went nuts. She was jumpin' and jivin'. And then for the rest of the show? Radio silence. She was all "bring back my Darren!" and refused to budge. I'm telling you, she loves him. I mean, I realize it could be a coincidence, or we could be looking at the next Mini Warbler:

VIDEO: Mini Warbler sings "Teenage Dream." Honestly, how cute is this kid?!

Either way, I'm glad to know that Baby already likes music and musical theater! Heck, I'll even sacrifice and try to get to as many shows as I can now before she's born just for her benefit. I'm a good mother like that! Next show on tap? Jesus Christ Superstar in March...unless we decide to hit something else before then!

3 comments:

jessica said...

Aww that sounds like an amazing date night! That's awesome that Eric was able to get the tickets!

LOVE the belly! You look just as great as you did back in 2007! :)

Lauren said...

I would love to see Wicked I bet it's awesome! Love the pictures from 2007 and current so cute :-)

Jennifer B said...

Oh man- I want to see Wicked again so bad. I've seen it three times- it never gets old!