Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?

Today marks 10 years since our country was attacked on September 11, 2001.

I was a sophomore in college that day, still living in the University of Florida dorms with my roommate Kristina. After scheduling myself for a couple of 8:20 a.m. classes my freshman year (and rarely making it to them, for shame), I had wised up by my sophomore year and did not have any classes scheduled until 10:40 a.m. Kristina's first class was even later than that, so I was the first one up in our dorm room. I got myself ready for class and left my room around 10:30 without turning on the TV or my computer.

I walked from my dorm to my Astronomy class past the football stadium, where I overheard some students talking about a plane crash. That was all I heard, and my thought was "oh, how tragic." I had no idea that already by that point, hijacked planes had crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and into a field in Pennsylvania. By the time I even heard my first chatter about a plane crash, both World Trade Center towers had collapsed. Thousands were already dead.

I got to class and my teacher simply said that we should try to put the morning's events out of our minds and focus on our work. I ended up dropping that class (the only one I dropped in college - I guess I'm not cut out for space science), so that was pretty pointless in my case. I still didn't have any idea what had really happened.

My next class was at 11:45 a.m. and was a sociology course entitled The Nature of Human Conflict. It had sounded like a very interesting class but ended up being sort of a joke, and we rarely did anything of value during class hours. Given what was happening that day, you would think this would be prime subject matter for a Human Conflict class. My teacher did decide we should discuss what was going on, but we got word by noon that all classes had been cancelled for the day so we were released. I still had no idea what had happened.

I went straight home to my dorm and turned on the news. I don't remember for sure if my roommate was already there; she might have been. I just sat and watched in utter disbelief at what was unfolding on the TV in front of me. I don't think we turned the news back off for days. We slept with the TV on.

I tried to get a hold of my parents by phone for some time, but the cell phone towers were so clogged it was nearly impossible to get a signal. I remember my mom was concerned that universities might be another target. I didn't feel unsafe so I was not particularly concerned, but the university did cancel that weekend's football game against Tennessee. I feel like classes were cancelled for a few more days but don't remember for sure.

I just didn't even know how to make sense of what was happening. I directed my concern towards my friends in the military, and ended up driving home through a tropical storm a week later to see a good friend who I believe was scheduled to ship out shortly thereafter.

The university held a memorial service several days later at University Auditorium and I made sure to go. It was beautiful and I wept as we sang "God Bless America." I felt such love for my country and such despair over what had happened to our people.

In September 2001, I had not yet lived in D.C. and had never even visited New York City. My first visit to New York City came six months after 9/11, in March of 2002. I visited Ground Zero during that trip and it took my breath away. At that point, they were still sorting through the rubble where the towers had stood. That metal makeshift cross still stood in its place above the debris. The sides of the surrounding buildings were still blown out, and the headstones in the cemetery at St. Paul's Chapel across the street were still blown completely over. The whole area was eerily silent - it was as if all the New York noise, hustle and bustle just came to a complete standstill there as people stopped to reflect on what had happened.

Now, 10 years later, I have called both D.C. and New York "home." I think living in these cities has perhaps helped me better understand the people and the places involved, and I can better imagine the terror, the despair, the panic, the fear that people must have felt that day. As a college sophomore, I just couldn't make sense of it. With more perspective now, I feel it more each year. Each year I rewatch that footage and just weep. I know that although I can better picture what that day may have been like for the people here, I realize that I really have no idea and could never really understand. Who can ever really imagine that? It is incomprehensible. My heart breaks for the lives lost and for those left behind without their loved ones.

But we must not only remember the tragedy, the pain, the fear and the sadness. There are also so many stories of heroism, of perseverance, of resilience. We are a strong nation made up of many extraordinary citizens who showed such bravery on that day 10 years ago, and continue today.

Today I will say a prayer for the lives lost and the loved ones who still mourn their lost friends and family. I will say a prayer of gratitude for our military, firefighters, policemen, and all those who spend their days protecting our country and its citizens. I will feel proud to be an American.

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve. America was targeted for attack because we are the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining." 
- President George W. Bush

NYFD uniform worn by a 9/11 responder, now resting in St. Paul's Chapel across from Ground Zero

Where were you on September 11, 2001? What are you doing today to remember that day?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

This is a wonderful post Meghan, I do was in college as a freshman and witnessed everything in a computer class I was taking, it was just horrifying. I still have not been to Ground Zero but I can imagine it to be a very emotional place to visit. I have been watching the specials about all the heros of thatday and it makes me proud to be an American because of all the heros that rose to the occasion during this tragedy.

Dad said...

I was watching the news and watched the second plane go into the second tower and then watched the news all day at work.

I must admit I am torn each year between rememberance and the feeling that each time someone says "we are changed forever" that the terrorists have anothe small win.