Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kicking Off My Thirties

First of all, I want to say thank you to all of my friends and family who helped Eric with his post for me on my birthday. I loved it so much and was so touched and humbled by all the wonderful things you all said about me, and that you so willingly took the time to do so. Not only did I have the post to read on my birthday, but Eric also let me read each of your responses in its entirety and I just have no words to respond to the kind things you all wrote for me. I have been very blessed with so many incredible people in my life and that post, contributed to by so many and put together so wonderfully by my husband, was a great reminder of that. Thank you all.

As you may know, Eric, Ellie and I are in Florida right now and will be until Tuesday, then it will be off to Ohio for my family reunion. It has been wonderful to be able to kick off my 30s in Florida with our loved ones.

My birthday weekend was a wonderful one, although it got off to an exhausting start with our flight to Florida on Saturday morning (the day before my birthday, which is my dad's birthday!). We left the house at 7:00 a.m. for our 10:15 a.m. flight, so by the time we actually boarded the plane, we were all already pretty tired of traveling. Ellie was a trooper up to that point, but as soon as we sat down in our seats on the plane she let us know that she was OVER IT.

Luckily for us, that was by far the worst of it. I nursed her during takeoff, and she napped for a bit on my lap. When she woke up we played with some of her toys for a bit, and then I handed her off to Eric for just a minute. She almost immediately fell asleep in Eric's arms and slept that way for the rest of the flight. I was all prepared to nurse her during the descent to help with the pressure in her ears, but there was no need. Daddy's arms cure all, apparently.

Ellie and Eric at the gate, waiting to board our plane

Ellie sucking her thumb (a newfound love) and waiting until the very last possible second to actually sit down

Oh boy.

Could it be? Is she really back to sleep?

Why yes, I believe she is.

We landed safely in Tampa right on time, with all luggage and a well-rested and happy baby, so I would say that Ellie's first flight was a smashing success overall.

My dad picked us up at the airport and took us back to his house, where we napped for a bit. My sister came by in between her Saturday performances of Cabaret so she could meet Ellie for the first time, which was wonderful because I have been so anxious to introduce the two of them! It was love at first sight, of course.

Baird ladies

Kisses from Aunt Heather

I just know they're going to be BFFs!

Ellie's visit with Auntie Heather was brief, because Heather had to get back for the evening show and Ellie, Eric, my dad and I were all off to the Tampa Bay Rays game - Ellie's first baseball game! (And first of many, because Eric still has quite a few MLB stadiums to visit!) And once again, she was fabulous. She wore her gear, watched the game, visited the touch tank, and spent lots of time slobbering all over her Grandpa's arm while watching some baseball. She's a baseball game natural.

Ellie's first time in a baseball stadium!

Watching some baseball

Go Rays!

Left: Eric, Ellie and Ted Williams
Right: Ellie at the Rays Touch Tank

At the Touch Tank

Rays watching some baseball

She's hooked.

We stayed through five innings before heading home and getting the little one to bed. She went down without a fight - what an exhausting day she had!

My sister returned to my dad's house later that night and she, Eric and I toasted my birthday with some champagne at midnight. We actually stayed up all the way until 1:00 a.m. - party animals!

Sunday morning (my actual birthday) we relaxed at home until it was time to take Ellie to my mom, who very generously offered to babysit her all day so I could enjoy my birthday out on the town. She was over at friends Don and Wilma's house, so we dropped Ellie off there knowing that she was in good hands.

Ellie playing with Grammy and her caterpillar

After dropping Ellie off we went back to pick up my dad and then went out to the freeFall Theater to see my sister Heather's latest show, Cabaret (yes, the one I plugged a while back!). Awesome, awesome show! I loved it. I have never seen the movie nor had I seen the show on stage before, so I went in totally fresh and thought it was excellent. They did a really great job with it.

Love to see my sister's "name in lights," of sorts!

PAUSE FOR A PLUG!: Although Cabaret's original run is over, if you are in the Tampa/St. Pete area and missed it, do not fret! Cabaret will be coming back for an extension (by popular demand) in August! That's right folks, you get a second chance to see this show that sold out so quickly during the original run. The show will be returning from August 30 until September 30, with shows every Thursday (7 p.m.), Friday (8 p.m.), Saturday (2 p.m. and 8 p.m.) and Sunday (2 p.m.) at the freeFall Theater (6099 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, FL). Tickets are $37 and worth every penny, available here, and there is not a bad seat in the house. Trust me, you will love it. Go see this show!

After the fabulous show, Eric and I dropped my dad off at the house and then went out for an early dinner date at Arigato's Japanese Steakhouse. It was delicious, and so nice to be out alone with my husband (despite the fact that Ellie was on my mind constantly). 

Leftovers!

We went straight from dinner to pick up Ellie, and were pleased to hear that she did great in the care of Mom & Co., including a three-hour nap. Way to go, baby! As we sat and visited for a bit, Ellie also rolled over from belly to back! I think it was pretty accidental, but she did it a couple of different times, so maybe there is a light at the end of the tummy time torture tunnel.

Reunited with my baby!

We took Ellie back to my dad's house and put her to bed, and then later that night did the whole birthday cake thing. Big thanks to my dad for not actually putting 30 individual candles on my cake. My elderly lungs may not have been able to handle it. (I kid, I kid!)

Thirty!

And with that, this old lady called it a day and went to bed. I was exhausted. 

Thanks again to everyone who helped make my birthday weekend so special. I am so very blessed and am so happy with my life as I have reached this milestone. Love to all of you!

My two biggest blessings! I'm a lucky girl!

3 comments:

krystal said...

Aw! LOve seeing the Rays pictures! Having just moved to Ft Myers I do miss being so close to Rays games!

Lauren said...

Love all the pictures, specially of Heather & Ellie, I bet she was thrilled to finally meet her niece :-) Love the Rays pictures too looks like such a fun time for your 30th!!

Meghan said...

Aww! Happy Belated Birthday! I am so glad the travel turned out to be successful for your little lady:) Looks like you had an incredible trip!