Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ellie's Daddy

Happy Father's Day, everyone! A special shout-out to our own dads and grandfathers - we can't be with you today, but we're thinking of you! And of course, a big Happy Father's Day to my husband!

That is one handsome man holding one cute baby.

Today is Eric's first time being honored as a dad on Father's Day, and I'm so excited to do that for him. There is just nothing like seeing the person you love falling so easily into the role of "parent." Watching Eric care for our daughter, playing with her, bonding with her - it's the coolest thing to see. Eric and I met when we were only 15 years old, and it is really incredible to see how that smokin' hot, football-playing, Yankees-loving young boy that I stalked around the neighborhood (hey, I told you he was hot) has now grown into such a good man, the head of our household, a loving husband to me and an adoring father to our daughter. It has been a flawless and seemingly effortless transition and I'm so lucky to have this man in my life.

For Eric's birthday, I usually post things I love about him as a person. Today, I thought I would do something similar, but with things I love about him as a father. Without further ado...


Things I Love About Eric: Dad Edition

I love what a great support he was to me during labor and Ellie's birth. I don't know how I would have gotten through it without him.

Admiring our baby girl

I love that you could see his overwhelming love for his baby girl in his face the very moment he held her for the first time.

This picture melts my heart.
(Eric actually made a similar face when he saw me coming down the aisle on our wedding day - I loved it then, I love it now.)

Likewise, I love that you can see how much Ellie adores her daddy by the way she looks at him.

Precious.

I love how hard he worked without a second thought to take care of both me and Ellie as I recovered after her birth. The way he handled everything was nothing short of saintly.

Bonding time in our early days at home

I love that he is so excited to share his passions with Ellie and introduce her to the things he enjoys most in life.

Baseball baby!

I love that he reads whatever he happens to be reading personally to her, be it C.S. Lewis, Animal Farm, or the Bible. Even more, I love that she just hangs on his every word.

She can't get enough!

I love their peaceful moments together.

Sleepy morning

I love the way he looks with a baby carrier on.

I'm not sure which part I love the most - the fists? The feet? The man holding it all? It's too much!

I love that he can always make her smile and she "talks" to him more than anybody.

Loving look for her daddy last weekend

I love that last night, he even made her laugh for the first time! Her first real baby belly laugh. It was the greatest sound ever.

Sadly, this is not actually a picture of last night's laugh. But, Operation: Get A Video of Baby Laughing is now in full force. Stay tuned!

I love how proud he is of her already. I know he wants nothing but the best for her in life and is so excited to see what she will accomplish.

After the Hoboken Baby Parade

I love and appreciate that he also handles most of Achilles' needs now without complaint so I don't have to worry about taking the dog outside when I'm trying to feed the baby, etc. It's an enormous help.

He really takes great care of ALL of us, dog included!

I love that he gets down on the floor and plays with her when he gets home from work.

Playtime for Ellie and Daddy

I love that you can just tell that Ellie feels safe in her Daddy's arms.

It kills me.

Most of all, I love how much he obviously loves his family. That is something Ellie and I will always be able to say, without a doubt.

Love.

There is already so much to love about Eric as a father, and we're not even 12 weeks in yet. I'm so excited to watch him grow as a parent as the years go by. At each stage of our life together, I have thought it was not possible to be any more in love with this man than I already was - but so far, nothing has surpassed how much I love him as Ellie's Daddy.

Happy Father's Day, Eric Ryan. Ellie and I are so lucky to have you and we love you so, so much.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy 1st Father's Day Eric!!!

Lauren said...

Happy firstFather's Day to Eric what a beautiful post & love that last photo cute little Gator family :-)

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

So sweet. Happy Fathers Day!

jessica said...

This is such a sweet post!! Happy (belated) Father's day to your honey!