Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Together, We Are Home


"Where are you from?"

Such a simple question, but one that I always have trouble answering. My answer tends to change depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll reply "Cleveland," or sometimes "Florida," or sometimes "I just recently moved to NY from DC." Where am I from? Where is home for me?

For a long time, I've had a hard time identifying with any place as "home." I was born in Columbus, Ohio, but only lived there for a few months before we moved back to Cleveland, where both my parents were born and raised and much of my extended family still lived. Cleveland was my childhood home, and I lived there until I was 12 years old. Then, my parents moved our family to St. Petersburg, Florida. I did not want to move, so for a long time I refused to identify with St. Petersburg as "home." By the time I finally settled in, it was time to uproot myself again and move to Gainesville for college. I did love Gainesville, but always knew it was only temporary.

After college, Eric and I moved to Washington, D.C. It was there that Eric proposed to me. And THAT is when I realized where my home is. As I was planning our wedding and searching for the perfect song for us to dance our first dance as husband and wife to, I found a song that often brings me to tears because it so perfectly answers my question of where I belong. The lyrics perfectly describe how I feel when I am with Eric - like I'm home. As trite as the saying is, "home is where the heart is" and my heart is with Eric. It doesn't matter where we grew up, where we live now, or where we may go next - as long as we are together, we are home.

Today Eric and I are celebrating our second wedding anniversary. We have had such an incredible two years, filled with love, laughter, changes and excitement. We have done so many things and made so many great memories. I created the following slideshow to reflect back on our two years together as husband and wife, and of course, it is set to our first dance song, "Feels Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk. I just can't get enough of those beautiful lyrics.


VIDEO: Looking back on our first two years of marriage

It's hard to believe that it has already been two years since I married the man of my dreams. He is a far better husband than I ever would have imagined (and I had pretty high expectations!), and he is my very best friend. He is an incredible man and I love him dearly. I look forward to celebrating many more anniversaries with him.

Eric Ryan, thank you so much for making a home with me. Thank you for showing me where I belong, and where I will be until the end of my days: with you. I am so blessed to have you as my husband and I love you so very much. Happy Anniversary!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Perfect.

Revel in each other every day.

Shauna said...

That is such a great slide show! Happy Belated Anniversary. I wish you guys many, many more.

Becky said...

Meghan, that was beautiful. It moved me to tears. I wish you both a lifetime of love and happiness. You are two very special people!
Love,
Mom