Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

"The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example."
~Benjamin Disraeli

The Marine Corps War Memorial in D.C.

Happy Memorial Day to all! I hope that in between your cookouts and parades today, you take a moment to remember the meaning of this day and the American heroes who have fought to defend the country that we love. Last year on this day I posted a tribute to my grandfather, Papa, who was a Marine in World War II. Today I'll be paying tribute to our American soldiers in general, and Papa in particular.

With Heather and the WWII Memorial in D.C. last May. My grandfather fought on Okinawa.

Today I'm also remembering our last Memorial Day, in D.C. last year. I have to confess that Eric and I have really been missing D.C. lately. Maybe it's because now that the weather is warming up, we miss walking around the town and seeing the sights of D.C. We did really love it there. That's not to say we don't love it here, of course, but we do think of D.C. often.

Last year we had a wonderful Memorial Day. My Aunt Debbie was in town, and we took part in as much of the D.C. celebration as we could. The highlight was the memorial service in Arlington National Cemetery. We were able to get excellent seats, just a few feet away from President and First Lady Bush, among other notable political types. The service was beautiful and moving, as Arlington Cemetery always is. Just walking around all those headstones adorned with flags is inspiring.

The amphitheater at Arlington Cemetery, where the ceremony was held

Graves with flags at Arlington

I also went to the Memorial Day Concert on the Capital Lawn, which was wonderful. We went to the one in 2006, also. It's just so amazing to sit in such an awesome place and listen to story after story of heroes and patriotism.

Photo taken in 2006 from the Capital Lawn

This year our Memorial Day will be very different, but I'm sure it will be very enjoyable too. We already have been enjoying the Fleet Week festivities this weekend (more about that later!), and Heather is in town, so today promises to be lots of fun! I hope you enjoy your day as well. God Bless the U.S.A.!

No comments: