Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm Officially A Lawyer's Wife!

Doesn't he look lawyer-ly?

That's right, ladies and gentlemen! I'm no longer a fraud...I really am a lawyer's wife now! Eric was sworn in to the New York Bar today, ending years of studying, applications, interviews, and tests. It is the culmination of his academic career; the pay-off of all his hard work. As usual, I'm very proud.

This afternoon I met Eric at his office around 2:00, and we walked down to the courthouse together. We took some pictures outside before going in and congregating in the lobby for a bit. It was a beautiful building - built in the 1890s and very ornate.

The Manhattan Appellate Courthouse

In the lobby of the Courthouse - ornate ceilings and murals painted on the walls

Before long, they called the candidates (that's Eric) into the courtroom for roll call while all of us proud family members hung out in the lobby for a while longer. Eventually they called all the spectators in, too. I found a seat in the front row and waited for the official business to begin. The courtroom was even more beautiful than the lobby, with a stained glass dome ceiling, a gorgeous wood bench, and marble walls adorned with legal-themed murals that one of the courthouse workers told me are the originals from the 1800s. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed in there, so I could get any pictures of it all. The best I can do is this picture (right) that I found online of the inside of the courtroom. It's not great, but try to use your imagination!

The ceremony was short and sweet. The five justices entered and took their seats, and after a brief introduction all the candidates were asked to stand and raised their right hands. They then repeated the following oath:
I do solemnly swear that I will support the constitution of the United States, and the constitution of the State of New York, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Attorney and Counselor-at-law, according to the best of my ability.
The spectators then broke out into thunderous applause to congratulate the new attorneys! I'll tell ya, this proud wife teared up a bit watching her husband take that oath. I'm just so proud.

After the oath was taken, the new attorneys were asked to take their seats once again and the Chief Justice spoke for a bit, mostly about the importance of doing pro-bono work (Eric already has that covered!). Then, the guests were excused, followed by the attorneys. Once Eric made his way out, we took a few more pictures to commemorate the moment.

Eric in the lobby, right after being sworn in!

Mr. & Mrs. Eric W., Attorney at Law!

After leaving the courthouse we wandered through Madison Square Park, right across the street. We were able to see an art installation called "Tree Huts" by Tadashi Kawamata. They are a series of tree houses in the trees of the park, that apparently were assembled on-site using at least some materials found in the park. It was pretty cool to see tree houses in the middle of Manhattan! We were also right by the Flat Iron Building, so we snapped a picture of that, too.

One of the tree huts in Madison Square Park

The Flat Iron Building

From there, we made our way home and ordered a celebratory Chinese dinner. We spent the rest of the night relaxing, as Eric has to get back to work tomorrow - his first day as a totally official LAWYER!

Congratulations, Eric W., Esquire! I'm so proud be your wife, with or without the "lawyer" part. I love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI HON S

WELL I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ERIC IT WAS NICE TALKING TO HIM NO MEG IT WASENT A MISTAKE I WANTED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THE BLOG AND HOW I WOULD SEND A COMMENT I HAVE TRYED A LOT OF TIMES BUT CAN,T FIGUR OUT HOW NOW I KNOW SO YOU WILL SEE A LOT WELL THATS IT LOVE YOU BOTH GRAMZ

Lauren said...

That's wonderful! How proud you must be to be a lawyer's wife :-)

Becky said...

Dear Eric,
Congrats on becoming an official lawyer!! We are very proud of you and your accomplishments. As Gary would say, Way to go!
Love,
Your in-laws