Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Getting Nervous

My interview is fast approaching. I've finally finished all the work that kept flowing in from DC (and the case has now been continued for a month, as tends to happen in this line of work), so now all that's left to do is be nervous. 

I was doing okay nerves-wise until yesterday. What changed, you ask? Now, not only do I not have the distraction of work, I do have my official schedule for interview day. Care to see what's in store for me on Friday?
8:45-9:00AM           Registration and continental breakfast
9:00-9:30AM           Welcoming remarks
9:30-10:45AM          Faculty introductions
11:00-12:10PM        Interviews with Faculty Members #1-3
12:10-12:30PM        Discussion with Director of Experimental Training & Grad Students
12:30-1:30PM          Lunch
1:30-4:00PM            Interviews with Faculty Members #4-9
4:00-5:00PM            Reception
5:00PM+                 Dinner at local Greek restaurant
Oh yes, that's right...NINE separate one-on-one interviews. They're only 20 minutes each, so I guess it won't be too bad, but that just makes me very nervous. That's a lot of people to impress in a short amount of time. Actually, I take that back. On the whole it's a very long amount of time. That's a long day to be at the top of your game, finished with dinner out. I'm tired just thinking about it all.

So I'm doing my best to take control of my nerves. I'm going to spend the next two days thoroughly studying the professors I'll be speaking with, reviewing my own research and past work, trying on different suit options so I can look my best, printing out nine copies of my resume, etc. Hopefully by Friday morning I'll be totally prepared. There also is a welcome reception for all of us applicants being hosted by current grad students tomorrow night, so I'll be going to that. I'm hoping that will give me a chance to meet some people ahead of time (to take a little bit of the pressure off on Friday) and size up my competition! 

So, please send good thoughts, vibes, prayers, whatever you've got my way on Friday. I really hope this goes well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meghan:

Actually, considering all the years you have been schooled combined with your worldly experience, the nervous ones are the people interviewing you cognizant of your resume.

Good luck.....be yourself and you will shine.

Anonymous said...

Meghan, I'll be praying for you. You'll do great-you're one smart gal! And, you've made it this far.
Love, Aunt Rachel

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK MEGHAN I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT LOVE GRAMZ

Anonymous said...

You got this......
Kelley