Sunday, June 20, 2010

Car Music

One of the things I really love about living in New York City is that we do not need a car. I hate driving, I hate cars, I hate car insurance, I hate car repairs, I hate traffic, I hate parking. I love that I can get wherever I'm going at my own pace on foot and not have to worry about traffic or where I'm going to park.

The only thing I miss about having a car is the music. I never, ever listen to the radio anymore. I don't even own one. As much as I prefer to not be driving, if I did have to drive, I used to love putting on some great music and singing along (loudly, and often accompanied by bad car-dancing) as I drove.

I've loved car-singing ever since I was little. I remember many family road trips that included lots of singing. And now, so many years later, when I hear those songs that we used to belt out as we drove, I think of my dad.

I give my dad a lot of the credit for my love of music. Like me, he was a marching band nerd (sorry to call you a nerd, Dad, but aren't we all?), and he continues to march with the Second Time Arounders Marching Band. We have epic disagreements over the superiority of woodwinds v. brass instruments. He also sings in a choir and has traveled abroad to perform in some amazing venues. He loved watching me march in the band and he always came to my concerts, and of course, we all love watching my sister Heather perform, too. He's always been very supportive of our musical endeavors.

And my dad was always one to crank up some good car music. I remember driving around with him and listening to classical music as a little girl. In fact, I have one very vivid memory of driving along West 54th Street back in my hometown of Parma, Ohio, past my elementary school. My dad was driving and my sister and I were in the back seat (we could never agree on who got to sit in the front, so we both sat in the back - even to this day it's weird for one of us to sit in the front!). We were very young - I can remember looking over at Heather, whose feet did not yet hit the floor of the car. I think my feet barely did. We were listening to classical music, and my dad would "conduct" along with the piece. When certain instruments were featured, he would ask us to name the instrument. Sometimes today I even find myself "conducting" along with a great piece of music, or saying "oh, the clarinets!" etc. when an instrument is featured. Your parents really stick with you, eh?

We didn't just listen to classical music, either. Sometimes we listened to soundtracks of musicals. Thanks to long trips in the car as a child, I knew every last lyric to "Phantom of the Opera" years before I ever actually saw it performed on stage.

We also listened to other artists my parents liked, including Natalie Cole. I selected the Natalie/Nat King Cole duet version of "Unforgettable" for my dance with my dad at my wedding because it made me think of our family car trips. Just recently, for some unknown reason, I was reminded of The Nylons, an acapella group we listened to in the car, too. I found the album we used to listen to on iTunes and was instantly taken back to my childhood. I could picture us all singing along to each and every song. I remembered our favorites and why we liked them. It's so amazing how music can just take you back to such a specific moment and you can remember everything you saw and heard and felt, isn't it?


VIDEO: "Bop Till You Drop," one of our favorites from The Nylons

Thanks for these great memories, Dad. Today I'll listen to some great tunes and think of you! Happy Father's Day! I love you!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Love you Meghan. You two are the highlights of my life