Monday, December 31, 2018

Farewell, 2018

Another year has come and gone, and all my great intentions to get back to record-keeping in blog format have once again fallen by the wayside. Maybe next year! I do miss this old blog - writing is therapeutic for me and perhaps I'll resolve to do more of it in 2019.

Our 2018 was really a pretty good one on the whole. We did some great traveling, including a trip to New York City (kid-free!) for Eric and me in June, an extended vacation at my dad's house over the summer, and a two-week road trip that took us to Georgia, Alabama, Illinois, Ohio, Washington D.C. and North Carolina. E.J. started VPK and Ellie is rocking first grade. E.J. is still playing tee-ball (and Ellie plans to join him in the spring!) and Ellie has continued her ballet, in addition to worship dance at church. Both kids also sing in the choir.

Eric got a great new promotion at work and is now the Director of Policy at his non-profit, which is fantastic. He loves the work he does and I love that. He did a fair bit of work-related travel this year, which the kids don't mind too much because he always brings them treats when he returns. He also coached E.J.'s tee-ball and got involved with a mens' group at church.

I ramped up my running this year, having run 400 miles in 2018! That's more than I had run in the previous two years combined, so I kind of killed it. I ran two half marathons this year, too, and have another on the agenda for February. I also finished out the year with a ton of jury work, which was a nice way to end an otherwise quiet (work-wise) year. Other than that, it has been a lot of shuttling kids to and fro, moms' groups and general life upkeep for me.

Unfortunately, the final member of our family brings a sad update. Our sweet pup Achilles passed away unexpectedly at the beginning of November, just a little over a month after his 15th birthday. It has been a tough loss for our family, but I hope to write a fuller post in tribute to that sweet (and psycho) pooch as soon as I can.

Overall, however, I'm looking back on 2018 with peace and looking forward to 2019 with anticipation. We don't have a ton of stuff definitively planned for the new year yet, so it feels like a little bit of a blank slate. It's going to be fun!

I wish you all the best in the coming year, friends. Let's make it a good one.

Signing off for 2018,
Meghan

VIDEO: A look back on our year in 2018!

No comments: