Sunday, December 1, 2013

31 Years of Eric

Today my husband celebrates his 31st birthday. Unfortunately, I am going to have to break with tradition this year: I do not have a list of 31 things I love about him prepared, thanks to our Thanksgiving travel this week. Bad wife! For shame!

But rest assured, there are 31 new things that I love about Eric this year. There always are. Each year, he continues to impress and amaze me with his selflessness, caring and concern, thoughtfulness, ambition and love. It seems that with each passing year - or rather, each passing day - he becomes a better husband, a better father, a better friend. I don't know how he does it, nor do I know how I got to be so lucky to be on the receiving end.

This year has brought all of that to light even more than ever, as Eric has worked hard to help us settle in to our new home. In addition to remaining extraordinarily devoted to our family, he has worked tirelessly at his new job, putting in hours upon hours each day (especially during football season), trying to do what's best for his students as he finds his own footing. His passion and ambition are incredibly admirable and I'm so thrilled to see those traits at work in a new career that is both challenging and fulfilling.

We don't have a whole lot planned to celebrate today. Last night we picked up some dinner and watched a movie, and today we're planning to do a mini-Thanksgiving of our own back in Jacksonville, with a toned-down turkey dinner and the annual Christmas tree trimming this evening. It's hardly a rowdy celebration, but includes a lot of quality family time, which Eric (at least claims to) enjoy the most of all anyway.

Eric, thanks so much for being you. Ellie and I are so incredibly lucky to have you, and I hope you know just how loved and appreciated you really are. Thank you for all that you do for us and for constantly making us feel like the most loved girls in the world. Happy birthday, my dear. We love you!


No comments: