Monday, February 9, 2009

Hakuna Matata!

Did everyone have a good weekend? Ours was fairly quiet, as I was working on my project from DC all weekend. I've finally got it shipped off back from whence it came, and now I can rejoin the world. Hooray!

Friday night I did take a break from my work, however, because Eric and I had tickets to see "The Lion King" on Broadway. We got tickets several months in advance for this one, because it is one of the more popular (and thus usually sold-out) shows on Broadway, so it is rarely available for day-of ticket purchases at the discount booth. A couple months ago I came across a coupon for it though, so we decided to take advantage of it.

"The Lion King" at the Minskoff Theater

Outside the theater

The theater is right along Times Square, so we snapped some pictures of the area from the big windows on our way up to our seats. It has a great view of the New Year's Eve ball! The theater also shares a walkway with the Nokia Theater, and that is where we waited for hours to see Tim Tebow for the Heisman Ceremony back in November. Ahhh, memories.

Me in front of the theater, in the very hallway where Tim Tebow once walked and did the Gator Chomp.

Taken from inside the theater. This would've been a much better spot to watch the ball drop than out on the street blocks away like we were, no?

The show itself was very cool! It was just beautifully done. The costumes and effects were amazing. It even begins with a big animal procession down the aisles for "The Circle of Life." My favorite character was Rafiki, the monkey, and my favorite costumes were the lion heads on Scar and Mufasa. Everything was just so well-done and creative - even the "plants" were cool.

No pictures allowed during the show, of course, so this lion head on the wall of the theater is the best idea I can give you of how cool the costumes were.

I guess Eric had never seen the movie the whole way through, so he wasn't as familiar with the story as I was. I have seen it a million times. I remember when I was in seventh grade, it was released on VHS right at the end of the school year. All my teachers were done with lesson plans by the last week of school, so they all decided to show a movie during class for the last week. And they ALL decided to show Lion King! So I watched it over and over for a whole week. I'm not sure I've watched it since, to be honest with you.

After the show we went over to the Hard Rock Cafe to get some dinner. We had left for the show right after Eric got home from work, so we hadn't eaten yet. Two summers ago when Eric was a summer associate here, every time I came to visit we would see a Broadway show and then have appetizers and/or drinks at Hard Rock, so we decided to go that route again this weekend. We enjoyed good food, yummy drinks, and just some nice time out together before heading back home for the night. It was such a nice evening out!

Also, when we left Hard Rock we got to see another random NYC sight - a guy walking around with a cat sitting on his head. When the cat was standing on the ground, he would tell it to "go upstairs" and it would climb up him and perch on his head. All kinds of people in this city, I tell ya!

Man with cat on his head

Nothing much else went on this weekend, as I said. Eric did have another firm football game, during which he caught two interceptions in the last five minutes to help his team win the game. Go Eric! We also found a couch we might like to buy for our new apartment, but we're torn because it's not a sleeper sofa, and we have so many visitors that I don't know if that's wise. So we'll have to think about that one a bit.

In other news, this is the week of my grad school interview, so I'm starting to get a little nervous about that. I'm going to do some reading up on the professors to prepare as much as I can between now and Friday.

Also, I never officially posted a moving update. Obviously, we did not move this weekend like we had hoped, and I'm glad we didn't. Things ended up being just too crazy with me working, and the show, etc. Eric has been busy at work, too. Anyway, the leasing agent had apparently been misinformed when she told us we could pretty much just pick any date in February to move, and they ended up picking a date FOR us: February 24-27. I was pretty upset about this at first, because 1) it's so much later than we wanted to move; 2) it's in the middle of the week, and Eric probably can't take off more than 1 day of work, so I will probably do a lot of finishing-up stuff on my own; and 3) my mom is coming to visit on the 27th. So, it's not ideal, but we'll make it work. I'm pretty eager to get into the new apartment now, so I'm trying to be patient! Hakuna matata, no worries, right?

No comments: