Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

How was everyone's long weekend? We had a very nice holiday and I hope you all did, too!

Our weekend started off with a movie at home: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Do you believe we have gone this long and this was the first time we saw any of the Harry Potter movies? We haven't read the books, either. Clearly, we are not "with it." We did enjoy the movie and the second one is next up in our Netflix cue.

Saturday Eric spent doing what Eric loves to do the most: golfing. He was gone all day long, golfing at Yale with people from work. I was shocked and appalled at this activity choice for the day, given that it was the first Florida Football Game of the season. Where are his priorities??? But, he chose golf, and left me to watch that mess of a football game myself. My Gators better get their lives together, here. Sheesh.

On Sunday, we started our day with a family trip to the dog park. In the afternoon, we had tickets to see a new Broadway play called Mrs. Warren's Profession at the American Airlines Theater in Times Square. I had come across a discount code that enabled us to get tickets to a couple different new plays during their opening weekends for only $10 each! Considering that $10 per ticket is less than it costs us to see a movie here, we jumped at it. I enjoyed the play, although I think I am more of a musical person. It was about a daughter who finally realizes that the comfortable life she has been afforded has been thanks to her mother's profession of prostitution, and she struggles to deal with that. Cherry Jones (who I recognized from Ocean's Twelve, but perhaps I should be embarrassed by that because she has won both Tony and Emmy Awards in her day) played Mrs. Warren. Our seats were in the very last row, but hey, they were $10. And an afternoon at the theater is never a bad afternoon!

 We picked up a movie from a Blockbuster Express on our way home and spent Sunday evening at home, watching our movie and drinking margaritas. Good times!

Monday was another gorgeous day (we're talking high 70s and sun here, people), so we decided to go for a picnic in Central Park. We picked up some lunch and then set up our blanket at my favorite spot near Wollman Rink. We spent quite some time there, eating, watching kids climb on the nearby rocks, and relaxing under the trees. It was so wonderful.

Family Labor Day picnic in Central Park

And on our way home, we stopped at Achilles' favorite store - Bed, Bath and Beyond!

That dog just loves to shop for housewares.

Monday night we cooked burgers and sweet potato fries for dinner, then spent the evening relaxing and watching college football. It was a nice end to a great weekend.

And in related Labor Day Weekend news, yesterday (September 7th) marked 12 years since Eric first asked me to be his girlfriend. He asked me on Labor Day of 1998, when we went spent our day off from school at the beach together. I can hardly believe 12 years has passed already, but I'm so glad he asked me then and I'm so glad I said yes. It's been a great 12 years!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Your picnic looked so fun, and I love Eric's shirt! Go Rays!