Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11

I hadn't planned to post about 9/11 today, but as I sit here watching the reshowing of that day's news coverage, I just feel the need to say something. I don't know why, year after year, I rewatch this. Every time I see that footage of the planes hitting the towers, my heart drops just as it did the first time I saw it. As soon as I see that smoke coming from those towers, I feel the same sinking, nauseous, fearful feeling I felt eight years ago today. When I see those towers fall, engulfing lower Manhattan in smoke, I feel the same sense of despair I felt in 2001. I always cry. I always think of the horror those people on the planes must have felt as they watched hijackers take control of their planes and their lives. I think of the terror those people trapped in the towers must have felt as the building burned around them. I think of the sense of urgency the firefighters and policemen and women must have felt as they rushed into the burning towers, not knowing what was to come. I image the fear and panic of the people around the towers and in the cities of New York and DC. I have lived in both places now, and I know the spirit of those cities - I just can't even imagine what it was like for them that day.

Today, I will mourn the citizens of our country who lost their lives on this day eight years ago. I will feel a sense of gratitude to the men and women who fight to defend our country. I will also celebrate the American spirit, knowing that although we will never forget the events of 9/11, we will remain resilient and strong:

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve. America was targeted for attack because we are the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining."
- President George W. Bush

No comments: