Friday, June 27, 2008

My Husband, the Chef

So, one of the big-time benefits of being married to Eric so far is his cooking! I mentioned in an earlier post that Eric spends a lot more time in the kitchen than I do, and it really is true. Since we've been married, he's really taken to cooking for us. He seems to really enjoy it, or at the very least, he's willing to give it a shot, and experiment with new things. I'm not generally a motivated chef (it's so much work and makes such a mess!), so I'm happy to sit back and enjoy. I'm a lucky wife!

Last Friday, Eric did some shopping while I was at work and picked up the fixin's for a great dinner: steak with bacon (and mushrooms for him), baked potatoes, asparagus, and fried onions. Mmm, mmm! And then we prepared it all together. Well, in all fairness, he prepared 3/4 of it, and I baked the potatoes. But, at least I contributed!

Eric, hard at work frying those onions

Mmm, delicious asparagus

One of the really fun parts of watching (err, "helping?") Eric cook is watching Achilles watch Eric cook. Achilles has learned over the years that he is under strict instructions to "STAY OUT of the kitchen" when we're cooking. So, he sits just barely outside of the kitchen, as close as he can possibly get without being IN the kitchen.


In the picture above, Achilles is in his "out of the kitchen" spot and is giving me his very best pitiful face. This is rare. Usually, when he is out of the kitchen while Eric cooks, his eyes are glued to Eric the whole time.


What can I say? Both Achilles and I are enthralled with Eric's cooking talent. And it's pretty safe to assume that at least one of us is hoping for the opportunity to participate in a pre-dinner taste test.


See the above picture? Even when I joined Eric in the kitchen (remember? I did the potatoes!), Achilles can't tear his eyes away from his dear friend Eric for one second.


At last, dinner is served! Now does that look delicious or what? And let me tell you...it WAS! Who would have guessed that one of the perks of being a lawyer's wife would be the home-cookin'?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me hungry!!!!!!!